![]() |
| In order to get a contrast of textures, with crispy edges and delicate folds, starchy potato varieties are recommended. Russets, Idahos potatoes and yellow-fleshed Yukon Golds are most often mentioned. If I were making this for company, I'd use any of those. This is a gorgeous photo from Archaea's Kitchen, is a good example of how the final recipe should look. |
| I also tried it with multi-colored carrot. I wasn't able to keep an entire carrot together, but it still turned out pretty good. |
My photos show purple potatoes, because they are a healthier option, and that's the potato I most often use at home. However, Hasselback Potatoes do not turn as crunchy on the outside, or open up as much while baking, if made with any sort of new potato.
- 3 pounds potatoes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil - I haven't tried this without oil yet, but I'd love to figure out a good alternative. - SEE OPTIONS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST!
- 5 cloves garlic
- 4 sprigs rosemary
- Salt and pepper
- Optional topping - nutritional yeast
Total cooking time - 1 hour!
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Smash the garlic cloves and peel off the skin. Then pour the oil on the baking sheet and lay the garlic cloves, and rosemary on the sheet pan as well.
- Cutting the potato - Hold the end of one potato. Use a sharp knife to cut across the potato to create 1/16- to 1/8-inch sections. Do not cut through the potato, but cut two-thirds the way down, leaving a 1/2 inch solid base at the bottom (less if the potatoes are smaller, but it will get tricky). Repeat with the remaining potatoes. You can cut thick slices if you like. Yet I find you get a much better texture and look when you try to make the slices 1/16th to 1/8th inch wide.
- Place the potatoes on the baking sheet and roll them around to cover them with fat. Set them cut-side-up.
- Place a small slice of garlic in between each slit - new idea - I haven't tried this yet!
- Sprinkle each potato generously with salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Then use tongs to gently squeeze the base of each potato to open up the folds. Use a pastry brush to brush the herb-infused pan oils over the top of each potato and in between the folds, making sure it seeps down into the layers. Discard the garlic cloves if they are blackened.
Hmmm... I've been trying to open the folds slightly before cooking. Maybe it's better to wait til halfway through cooking! - Roast in the oven for another 30 minutes, until the largest potato is fork tender. Add option toppings.
- Serve warm.
OIL-FREE VERSIONS - use these sauces in place of the oil
* From Simple Vegan Blog - She also uses this sauce to make garlic bread.
One more thing - I saw in one =of her photos that she used some sort of guide when cutting. I promise I didn't see that before thinking of mine. My idea is probably not original. I likely saw it somewhere way back when and just don't remember.Blend in a blender or food processor:
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 handful fresh parsley
* From Integrative Medicine -
- vegetable broth
- a little bit of corn starch
* From Culinary Gym -
Blend into a cashew milk:- ½ cup water
- ½ cup cashews
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1 teaspoon onion granules
