Rice, Lentils, Onions - Mujadarra

Inspiration Source:  A Family Feast

This recipe is a good reminder to sometimes cook lentils in with the rice for a protein and nutrient boost.  Plus, it's yummy!


My notes - The onions in the recipe caramelize to a rich brown color thanks to a big glob of olive oil and look a whole lot more appetizing.  I skipped the oil.  I wish it weren't so pale.   
-> Next time I might use some aminos to get a better color or add mushrooms.   
I used orange lentils instead of brown.  They disappeared completely into the rice.  At first I wondered if I had forgotten to add them, but they were there.  Despite the lack of color, this recipe was very tasty.  JC was thrilled and wanted to know what I had done to make the rice so much better.  He didn't realize there were lentils in there. 




RICE AND LENTILS - cook in the instant pot

  • 1 cup water
  • 1/3 cup brown lentils, sorted and rinsed
  • 2/3 cup rice 
  • salt


CARAMELIZED ONIONS -


In a large skillet, heat a bit of oil over medium high heat.

  • a bit of oil


Add the sliced onions, and cook for about 20-30 minutes, stirring frequently until the onions are a deep golden color, and the edges of the onions are well caramelized.  

  • Vidalia or sweet onions, sliced into thin rings 


Once cooked, remove from the heat and sprinkle the paprika over the onions. Stir to combine.

  • Paprika


SERVE

Give the rice and lentil mixture a stir, then pour into a serving bowl. Top with caramelized onions and serve. (This dish is delicious served hot off the stove or at room temperature.)