Drink - Brewed Cacao (Giving Up Coffee)



You can order from the Crio Bru site or Amazon.
Ordering from the Crio Bru site was less expensive and still allowed payment thru Amazon.


This isn't a recipe.  

I have a love hate relationship with coffee.  I like the boost of energy.  I like starting the day with something warm and cozy.  I don't like that even one cup in the morning messes up my sleep at night.  I don't like that it's a bit rough on my stomach.  

Solution - Brewed Cacao.  I came across an article recently about the benefits of this drink. I no longer have a link to that article.   I remembered a scene from the movie, Medicine Man, that highlighted a natural energy boost with fresh cacao.  

I hoped the brewed cacao would be a healthy alternative to coffee and hot chocolate, which is also not my friend.  I have recently enjoyed a few cups of hot chocolate - just one a day for a few days.   It was yummy, but I know it's unhealthy, and I had a few unpleasant reactions to it. The most upsetting reaction was a crazy rosacea breakout.  Before I figured out that the breakout was being caused by the hot chocolate, I ordered some Crio Bru cacao beans.  It took a week or so to arrive and by the time it did, I had figured out the chocolate reaction so I was a little hesitant to try the cacao beans.  When I did, I was very relieved to see that it did not cause any of the reactions the junk food hot chocolate did.  

The brewed cacao beans have a subtle chocolate flavor.  You prepare it the same way as coffee. The energy boost is not fast and jolting like coffee.  It's more subtle and longer lasting.  Best of all it's healthy.

Superfood Packed with Nutrients - Cacao is packed with nutrients like antioxidants to boost your immune system and magnesium to support bone, brain, and heart health. Additionally, while low in carbs and calories, cacao also acts as a natural appetite suppressant. Best of all, cacao is loaded with natural mood enhancers that can help you feel great, increase focus, reduce stress, and sleep better. 

Honest Energy - Brewed cacao is 99.9% caffeine free but contains theobromine, a naturally occurring stimulant found in cacao that can be longer lasting, milder, and more pleasant than caffeine. 


Here are some articles that explain it more in detail - 




Note about brewing:
Cacao brews slower than coffee and it can cause the water to overflow in your coffee machine. Paper filters are NOT suggested as they get clogged easily with cacao. The paper in combination with the texture of the crushed beans doesn't let water through and would probably overflow.   A permanent gold-tone or mesh filter is recommended because it is more porous and allows for slower brewing.

French Press Method
  1. Add ½ cup of Crio Bru to 32oz or 34oz French Press.
  2. Pour boiling water into french press and stir.
  3. Allow Crio to steep for 10 minutes, stir occasionally.
  4. 1-2 minutes before depressing plunger, stir one last time.
  5. Depress plunger.
  6. Pour and enjoy!
You can also brew it in regular coffee makers, Kurigs (using refillable cups), and even in an Instant Pot.