Judy made this for JC and I during a visit to the mountains. Even though JC claims to not care for black beans, he loved this and has changed his mind about the whole black bean thing. I love black beans and could have eaten this soup 'til I popped.
Sauté onion, carrot, and garlic until vegetables begin to soften, about 6 minutes.
Mix in cumin and 1 teaspoon jalapeño.
Cumin tip I plan to try sometime: More intense and nuanced flavor can be enjoyed by lightly roasting whole cumin seeds and then grinding the seeds in a spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle.
Add beans, tomatoes, and broth; bring soup to boil.
Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook until carrots are tender, about 15 minutes.
Transfer 3 cups of soup to blender and puree until smooth. Return puree to pot.
Simmer soup until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.
Season to taste with salt, pepper, and remaining 1 teaspoon jalapeño, if desired.
Transfer 3 cups of soup to blender and puree until smooth. Return puree to pot.
Simmer soup until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.
Season to taste with salt, pepper, and remaining 1 teaspoon jalapeño, if desired.
Ladle soup into bowls. Top with cilantro and green onions.
